National Metrology Skills Alliance
Take part in Beta Testing
We have now completed the Core standard as well as two annexes covering the specialism of Manufacturing Metrology and Flow Metrology.
These have been through Alpha testing, but we are now looking for a wider pool of partners to help us in the Beta testing stage ahead of formal publication.
If you would like to take part please click the button below to complete the form and download copies of the standard documents and feedback from.
The Standards are not yet formally published, and we do ask that you please not share the documentation outside of your organisation. If you know someone who would be interested in taking part please direct them to this page to download their own copy.
Please note that by signing up to the Beta test you are agreeing to the Institue keeping a record of your details and using them to contact you in relation to the Beta test.
Sign up now
You can find out more about the work of NMSA by watching our video
The National Metrology Skills Alliance was founded on the back of work started by the Midlands Centre of Data Driven Metrology (MCDDM), where they identified the need for a national and/or international framework outlining skills and knowledge in the field of Metrology. Out of that work a group was formed, with the aim to develop and promote a recognised standard for Professional Metrologists. That group led by Trevor Toman (Coventry University), Charlotte Blake (University of Nottingham), Phil Bamforth (Rolls-Royce) and Steff Smith (Institute of Measurement and Control), have now been joined by many other industry representatives and have formalised as an official InstMC Special Interest Group.
MEMBERS & LEADERSHIP TEAM
The SIG is run by a Steering Board, whose membership is made up of the founding members of the project, and the Chairs of the Working Groups.
Membership of the SIG is open to any individual who is interested in the project and feels that they could contribute to the drafting of the standard or in its subsequent promotion and industry up take.
Trevor Toman and Phil Bamforth
WORKING GROUP CHAIRS
Core WG: Trevor Toman and Phil Bamforth
Flow WG: Gordon Fish
Manufacturing WG: David Torr and James Mansell
Control WG: Geraint Bevan
Force WG: Miles Dadson
“Trusted metrology in the workplace through competent people, with the ability to prove that they have the skills to undertake the work they are doing”
The principal objective for the NMSA SIG is to produce and publish an industry accepted competency-based framework for metrologists and those working in metrology fields.
This will include:
1. A standardised framework that defines and provides structure to metrology skills across different levels and disciplines (for example beginner, practitioner, advanced across areas such as flow, dimensional etc).
2. Definitions of the competency requirements for different tasks and disciplines within the framework.
3. Clear career development paths for metrologists
4. An international standard that formalises the framework and competency requirements (similar to the approach already adopted by the NDT community in ISO 9712).
5. An assurance/accreditation process to enable:
- Demonstration of an internationally recognised level of competency & professionalism.
- Training providers to demonstrate consistent quality of their products to the standard.
- Organisations to have confidence when they recruit and train their staff.
We have currently finished the first draft of the core standard and are seeking feedback from the Metrology community.
We are also looking for more volunteers to join our existing WGs to develop the subject specific appendices to the standards and are also open to any suggestion on what other subjects or specialist areas we need to incorporate.
To find out more please contact email@example.com