A new special interest group (SIG) of the InstMC was formed in 2017 – focusing on Measurement. The Measurement-SIG (M-SIG) is a cross-sector community of individuals, with a shared interest in promoting good measurement practice, on behalf of the Institute.
The M-SIG is also now the body that provides objective comment on measurement matters for the Institute.
The vision of the SIG is to be a cross-sector group enhancing implementation and understanding of robust and reliable measurement, and associated best practice.
The objectives of the M-SIG are:
1. Dissemination of the importance of, and the opportunities within, the world of measurement
2. Pioneer professional recognition and training frameworks for those involved in all aspects of measurement at every level
3. Facilitate application of present and future measurement and data technologies to measurement challenges
4. Lobby standards bodies to address present and future gaps
5. Facilitate collaborative creation of practical standards to enhance measurement capabilities
6. Align with Institute and other related working groups
7. Provide impartial advice and objective comment on measurement related matters
8. Raise the profile of the Institute
For further information contact the Chair, Jeremy Stern at measurementSIG@instmc.org
A Steering Board has been set up to oversee the activity of the M-SIG and this meets approximately four times a year. The first active decision of the Steering Board was to agree three Working Groups to take forward the objectives of the M-SIG.
The first three working groups are:
- Marketing of Measurement Chair: Jane Seery: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Training Chair: Jeremy Stern: email@example.com
- Technology Transfer Chair: Mark Thomas: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have an interest in promoting good measurement practice, or ideas of how this message can be spread across (and inside) engineering sectors, please do get in touch.
The structure and aims of the M-SIG and its working groups can be found in more detail in the following downloads:
To join the Measurement SIG, please tick the box on the members only area (under "Update Personal Details").