It is believed that a meeting was convened in the Vane Arms on Stockton High Street in 1947 and this is attributed as the start of the Teesside Section. It is fitting that a pub should feature in the formative years as there is a strong social element to our activities.
Our first public lecture was by Sir George Paget Thompson, Institute President from 1944-48, Nobel Laureate in Physics, recognised for his discovery of the wave properties of the electron.
A number of the original committee were ICI employees, who went on to become Chairmen of the Teesside Section in the early days such as, Dr W. Jasper Clark (our first Chairman), Mr D. G. Underwood, Mr Charles Gregory and Mr Vic H. Brown, who was Head of the Instrument Service Station at ICI Wilton.
A number of our members have served as President, including David Bishop, Prof Jim Anderson & Colin Howard. David Bishop played a prominent role in obtaining our Royal Charter and establishing the Institute in the international list of Professional Engineering Institutions. Colin Howard is the current Honorary Treasurer.
Jasper Clark was one of the pioneers of the science of flow measurement that eventually resulted in the standard for measuring flow in closed conduits, BS1042. He developed a slide rule for calculating flow measurement orifice diameters that was widely used until the advent of computer programmes.
Teesside Section has also been pioneering in creating the Instrument Engineers Handbook – a trade directory published by Malcolm McLeod and John Hemy that went on to become a national publication. We also upgraded the website to a Content Management System and maintained it for many years, through the good offices of Geoff Jones.